Click here to download the Business Organization Checklist
Small Business Office Organizing Checklist
Create an environment that is welcoming and that you will want to spend time in.
- Take lighting into consideration, as a well-lit area will lead to better productivity.
- Avoid facing your desk to a wall and instead face a window or door.
- Ensure you have a comfortable and well-fitting chair at your desk to promote good posture.
Place the items you use most within easy reach.
- Create a semi-circle around you seated at your desk to use optimal space.
- Take into account if you are left or right-handed and place objects on your desk accordingly.
- Make sure you have quick access to regularly-used office supplies.
Use vertical space to your advantage.
- Install shelves or bulletin boards above your desk to maximize the vertical space near your work area.
Improve productivity by minimizing clutter.
- Decide what you should keep, donate, throw away or put somewhere else.
- Create zones to store similar items and categories together.
- Take measurements and stick to using containers that you know will fit in your zones.
Use items in your office that will help you stay organized.
For paper management
- Garbage, recycle, and shred bins
- Desktop scanner
- Inbox & outbox
- File cabinet
- Hanging files and file folders
- Label maker
- Master file index
For cord management
- Reusable zip ties
- Cord wraps
- Cable box
- Cable zipper
- Cord labels